Thursday, August 15, 2013

Little League World Series: Parade & Predictions

CLICK HERE for a preview of the Little League World Series

I got a late jump on my road trip to Williamsport today, so I missed the barbecue at Penn College. I was really looking forward to seeing all 16 teams in a social setting, but apparently work CAN interrupt the fun of a Little League-filled summer.

Before I jump into things, I want to extend my sincere thanks and appreciation to everyone that helped me make this trip. It was truly touching to see strangers extend themselves like that. Thank you guys very much. I appreciate everyone that takes the time to read the blog. Whether its two people reading or two thousand, I'd still be writing, so I love the audience. Okay, enough of that mushy stuff...

I arrived in Williamsport right around 5:30 and had no idea where to park or what to do. For someone that is so Little League oriented, I don't know anything about the City of Williamsport. Heck, I've only been here three times before (compared to Bristol which I've been to 13 straight). So, I ended up parking in a lot at Penn College and realizing most of the action is over a mile a way. So I high-stepped it down fourth street through the crowds. I've been to a million parades before. From local volunteer fire department parades to St. Patrick's Day in New York City, but this was truly a world's parade. It's awesome seeing and meeting people from every single corner of the earth.




As I made my way downtown I spotted some Newark, Delaware parents and hung with them for a while. The parade finally reached us by 6:30 and WOW it was long. I had no idea. It was a good mix of everything including every area high school's band, different fire departments, local attractions, sponsors, and of course the teams. It's a great way to showcase some of the things to do in the area besides watching baseball. I was especially surprised by Reptiland. Who knew.


I happened to be in a section where the fans from Mid-Atlantic, New England, Great Lakes, Northwest, and Southeast were standing. It was awesome to see the reactions from the kids on the floats when they saw their parents. Some of them hadn't seen mom and dad for a few days. It was definitely cool to see.

The Southeast fans from South Nashville, Tennessee took the cake for most energetic. They went bonkers for everyone and were the stars of the show. The big heads of the players were a nice touch too.

We're 12 hours away from opening ceremonies now. I think it's going to be a really good series. All the U.S. teams have great pitching. On the international side, you have the usual suspects. We don't know what to expect from Australia or Czech Republic, but it's awesome to have them here as it is. I'm definitely grabbing an Australia shirt tomorrow! Yes, I love my shirts. I'm going to be in town through Sunday night, so if you're in South Williamsport, make sure you say hi. I'll always have a steno notepad with me. That's a dead giveaway.

On to the predictions for Day 1 (International predictions are a shot in the dark)

Game 1: Latin America 3, Carribbean 2.

        This league in Panama is back for a second straight year with at least three players returning. Meanwhile, Puerto Rico was the third best team in its region but backed its way in with a screwy system. Puerto Rico is typically strong, but that sounds like a Panama win to me.

Game 2: Southwest 7, Northwest 2

         Universal is going to be too tough no matter who they stick on the mound. Eastlake, Washington has potential to bring big bats with them, but I believe in the Texas pitching.

Game 3: Mexico 9, Australia 1

        Australia is a great story. It's nice to have them at the World Series. I'd rather have them then American kids from Saudi Arabia. It doesn't change the fact that they're never been close to making in to the LLWS through the Asia-Pacific region. They don't just lose to Taiwan. They lose to Thailand, Guam, etc. They're not going to be strong, but they're definitely going to be fun. I also love the unis! Mexico, on the other hand, is a great story too. Right on the border, they know have the players from Chula Vista and they fit right in culturally. We won't know much about them talent-wise until their second game most likely.


Game 4: New England 2, Southeast 1

       This feels like a homer pick, but the New England region is stronger than you think most years. South Nashville is far from dominant too. I think this is a year that Connecticut to do very well if it manages its two star pitchers, gets good innings from Max Popken and/or Charlie Roof and finds some consistent bats.

CLICK HERE: Help Little League Insider Not Become Homeless in Williamsport

You can listen to Little League Insider Radio from Sunday for a bit of an initial LLWS preview. I also did an interview on WRAK radio in Williamsport and discussed all the teams and their chances at winning some first round games. That interview isn't available for replay, but will be on WRAK a few times during the week. I'm hoping to get a schedule.

Mobile Users Click Here: Little League Insider Radio Episode 3




Listen to previous episodes of Little League Insider Radio

Episode 1
Episode 2



Join the Little League World Series discussion on Facebook with some of the best baseball minds around: Little League World Series Discussion

Like our Facebook page: Little League Insider

Follow along on Twitter: @LittleLeaguePro



No comments: